Trekkie Monster

community features A sneak peek of what Invisions Power Board 4 will be like

3 posts in this topic

Invision Power, the company who create the Invision Power Board Suite which Ostomyland uses for it's forums software have just released a sneak peek look at version 4 of the software. This is a HUGE upgrade, a total re-write in face, and as such it wont be free.

It's been interesting to get to grips with it a little bit to see what new features are included. You can take a peek at this development version of IPB4 by visiting the Invision test board at http://zend.ipsdevserver.com/ips4/ (please remember that that test board has nothing to do with Ostomyland so your account details will not work over there and the installation is mainly for developers to test and find bugs with so if you want to play with it you'll need to create an account).

The feature I liked most was the responsive layout - meaning the whole board will resize depending on the size of the screen you are viewing it on. This will be a huge advantage to mobile users and I'm hoping it will entice some members back that mainly use their phones for their net access these days as I'm the first to admit the mobile skin for the O'land board sucks big time and is a huge negative for the forums when it comes to competing with services such as Facebook etc.

The whole suite is more user friendly and looks more like the websites of today and not as outdated as the current software looks too. So have a peek and see what you think. It's still in development, but it will go to public beta testing soon. Once that is over it will be launched for sale on the Invision website. There's no mention on how much it will cost yet but based on previous new versions I would guestimate $200 to $300USD approximately.

http://zend.ipsdevserver.com/ips4/

It looks good to me.   I'm sure you'll be needing donations to help defray the cost.  As you know, I did donate last time (even though you returned it to me), so you know I'll be there for you again.

Lois

HAHAHA, I clicked on the link and had no idea what I was looking at :eusa_wall: , Jason, you make everything look much better :p !