6 replies to this topic

#1 lastofeight

lastofeight

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Current mood: None chosen

Posted 09 October 2009 - 03:38 PM

I had a permanent colostomy two years ago as a result of colon cancer. Very glad to be alive, very glad for this site, very glad for the humour! I want to go for a massage, but have never laid on my stoma and am wondering if I can lay on my stomach for 30 to 60 minutes without causing problems. Thanks in advance.

#2 Rach

Rach

Advanced Member (500+)

• Oland Team
  • 812 posts
  • LocationSouth Derbyshire

Current mood: Vegged Out

Posted 09 October 2009 - 04:22 PM

Hi,

There is no reason you cant lay on your tummy for a massage. You just might wanna make sure your pouch is empty to avoid a leak but otherwise have your massage and enjoy! :icon_mrgreen:

#3 Jimbob

Jimbob

Super Member (1000+)

• Oland Team
  • 1,056 posts
  • LocationPensacola, Florida, USA

Posted 09 October 2009 - 06:30 PM

I often wake up sleeping on my stoma. Have no Idea how long I have been laying on it.

Just follows Rachies advice, make sure the bag is empty....

#4 Karen

Karen

Advanced Member (100+)

• 50 posts plus
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 09:37 PM

Hi
I am a trained aromatherapist - and we had to practice on each other whilst training. I was a bit concerned to start with - but had no problems at all. I just made sure the bag was free of output and gas before we started. Being as you have a colostomy, i would think it would be even less of a problem than it was for me.

so go ahead and have your massage - and enjoy it!!!!
kaj
xxx

#5 Guest_82

Guest_82

Guest_82

• Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 03:11 PM

From the day I recovered after surgery of my colostomy I have always slept on my stoma and 3 +years later and he still looks and works the very same. I have always been a tummy sleeper and was never told I couldn't so I continued to. I literally sleep straight on him each night. So please don't worry about enjoying a massage-you will be fine and so will your stoma. Just go enjoy.

I thought I would also add that I have never had a movement while I sleep -my stoma is probably trapped(lol) but when I get up in the morning he is then very active.

#6 rotorhead

rotorhead

Advanced Member (100+)

• 50 posts plus
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 10 October 2009 - 07:50 PM

Yes you can. Mine is very tough. I sleep on it and surf (laying down on a hard board) without issue. If it's uncomfortable just put a little padding over or around it (cut out some neoprene donuts or something similar).
-RH

#7 lastofeight

lastofeight

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 09:10 PM

I had a permanent colostomy two years ago as a result of colon cancer. Very glad to be alive, very glad for this site, very glad for the humour! I want to go for a massage, but have never laid on my stoma and am wondering if I can lay on my stomach for 30 to 60 minutes without causing problems. Thanks in advance.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: colostomy, ostomy, stoma