• Announcements

• Check all advice with your medical team! Plus, quoting medical sources (HON code requirement)   08/25/2015

Here at Ostomyland we are a patient run community - meaning we have learnt what we know as a result of being the patient and 99% of our members have got no medical qualifications whatsoever, and so any support replies are usually based on personal experience or friends/family-members personal experience. As a result Ostomyland strongly recommend that all members should check the accuracy of any support/health advice they have been given here with a member of their own medical team (GP, ET/Stoma Nurse/ Surgeon etc) BEFORE acting on it. This is for your own safety, as all our bodies are very different, and what works for one might not for the other, and for another it might even be dangerous! Ostomyland is not responsible for the content of the posts made, each member is responsible for their own posts. So if you ever did get any duff advice (unlikely, but could happen one day....) then blame the person who posted the message, and not Ostomyland. We are proud to be HON code certified and work very hard to meet the requirements of their principles. As such, and as requested under principle 4 of the HON code guidelines we must ask that members of the forums please quote sources for any medical information they give which is not based on personal experience.   Thanks.

Can I Lay On My Stoma?

7 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I had a permanent colostomy two years ago as a result of colon cancer. Very glad to be alive, very glad for this site, very glad for the humour! I want to go for a massage, but have never laid on my stoma and am wondering if I can lay on my stomach for 30 to 60 minutes without causing problems. Thanks in advance.

Posted · Report post

Hi,

There is no reason you cant lay on your tummy for a massage. You just might wanna make sure your pouch is empty to avoid a leak but otherwise have your massage and enjoy! :icon_mrgreen:

Posted · Report post

I often wake up sleeping on my stoma. Have no Idea how long I have been laying on it.

Just follows Rachies advice, make sure the bag is empty....

Posted · Report post

Hi

I am a trained aromatherapist - and we had to practice on each other whilst training. I was a bit concerned to start with - but had no problems at all. I just made sure the bag was free of output and gas before we started. Being as you have a colostomy, i would think it would be even less of a problem than it was for me.

so go ahead and have your massage - and enjoy it!!!!

kaj

xxx

Posted · Report post

From the day I recovered after surgery of my colostomy I have always slept on my stoma and 3 +years later and he still looks and works the very same. I have always been a tummy sleeper and was never told I couldn't so I continued to. I literally sleep straight on him each night. So please don't worry about enjoying a massage-you will be fine and so will your stoma. Just go enjoy.

I thought I would also add that I have never had a movement while I sleep -my stoma is probably trapped(lol) but when I get up in the morning he is then very active.

Posted · Report post

Yes you can. Mine is very tough. I sleep on it and surf (laying down on a hard board) without issue. If it's uncomfortable just put a little padding over or around it (cut out some neoprene donuts or something similar).

-RH

Posted · Report post

I had a permanent colostomy two years ago as a result of colon cancer. Very glad to be alive, very glad for this site, very glad for the humour! I want to go for a massage, but have never laid on my stoma and am wondering if I can lay on my stomach for 30 to 60 minutes without causing problems. Thanks in advance.