• Announcements

• Trekkie Monster

Check all advice with your medical team! Plus, quoting medical sources (HON code requirement)   08/25/2015

Here at Ostomyland we are a patient run community - meaning we have learnt what we know as a result of being the patient and 99% of our members have got no medical qualifications whatsoever, and so any support replies are usually based on personal experience or friends/family-members personal experience. As a result Ostomyland strongly recommend that all members should check the accuracy of any support/health advice they have been given here with a member of their own medical team (GP, ET/Stoma Nurse/ Surgeon etc) BEFORE acting on it. This is for your own safety, as all our bodies are very different, and what works for one might not for the other, and for another it might even be dangerous! Ostomyland is not responsible for the content of the posts made, each member is responsible for their own posts. So if you ever did get any duff advice (unlikely, but could happen one day....) then blame the person who posted the message, and not Ostomyland. We are proud to be HON code certified and work very hard to meet the requirements of their principles. As such, and as requested under principle 4 of the HON code guidelines we must ask that members of the forums please quote sources for any medical information they give which is not based on personal experience.   Thanks.
Elyana

What vitamins and supplements to take with Ilestomy?

3 posts in this topic

Is there anyplace I can get vitamins that are liquid and gentle  enough for my ileostomy ?

Also what supplements are good, a low veggie and low fruit diet must need some supplements in order to stay healthy?

Also someone told me about a gelatine that helps firm up the texture of the stools?

All I know is that it is kosher and works very well  

I take a multi-vite by VITAFUSION (lower case letters on the bottle), they are chewable and relatively additive free.  I also get OTC magnesium, potassium, iron, calcium, vitamin B12 and B-complex. I chew these up with the multivits, everything but the B-complex which I take with my oatmeal.  Vanilla flavored almond milk is very good and bananas are an excellent source of potassium.  These things don't have to be really gentle for an ileo. after the initial healing,  It's not as bad as it seems. Smoothies are a way to get around the hard course fibrous veggies, or as I do, just chew  to a rediculous amount, until there is nothing left to chew.  Smoothies at first.   Try out stuff in small amounts at first until you know what you can tolerate.