• Announcements

• Trekkie Monster

Check all advice with your medical team! Plus, quoting medical sources (HON code requirement)   08/25/2015

Here at Ostomyland we are a patient run community - meaning we have learnt what we know as a result of being the patient and 99% of our members have got no medical qualifications whatsoever, and so any support replies are usually based on personal experience or friends/family-members personal experience. As a result Ostomyland strongly recommend that all members should check the accuracy of any support/health advice they have been given here with a member of their own medical team (GP, ET/Stoma Nurse/ Surgeon etc) BEFORE acting on it. This is for your own safety, as all our bodies are very different, and what works for one might not for the other, and for another it might even be dangerous! Ostomyland is not responsible for the content of the posts made, each member is responsible for their own posts. So if you ever did get any duff advice (unlikely, but could happen one day....) then blame the person who posted the message, and not Ostomyland. We are proud to be HON code certified and work very hard to meet the requirements of their principles. As such, and as requested under principle 4 of the HON code guidelines we must ask that members of the forums please quote sources for any medical information they give which is not based on personal experience.   Thanks.
Queensgirl 52

Closed ostomy pouches

10 posts in this topic

I'm new to all this. (Surgery was 12/30.) I'd be interested to hear from anyone who uses or has tried non-drainable pouches. The hospital set me up with drainable, and I didn't know there was anything else. The draining is a mess. (Maybe someone has suggestions about that?) I find it impossible to thoroughly clean the open end of the pouch, with the result that my panties and legs get gunked up. I appreciate all input.

Do you use a drainable pouch? But you don't like the mess? 

You tried rolling back the end of the pouch like you ET nurse told you. But that works successfully for about one time. So you tried wetting toilet paper and wiping the end of the pouch. But something still smells fishy. Well, maybe not fishy. More like a dead cat's been under the porch for about six months too long. 

Let me suggest something. 

Next time you finish a bottle of dish detergent, don't throw away the bottle. Fill it with water and use it to flush out your pouch. The 11 oz (325 ml) size holds just about the right amount of water to do a good job of cleaning out just about everything in there. You can also squeeze the bottle to create a little jet stream to break loose the sticky stuff - like that pizza with extra cheese you had last night. 

I have used a Palmolive and a Dial bottle. They both work well. I put the bottle and a few other ostomy supplies in a little tote bag and take that with me most every where. I had the bottle leak only one time and that was because I did not push down firmly on the spout to effect a good closure. 

The bottles seem to last forever. I usually use one for about 6 months and then just replace it with a new one just because I have a bunch of unused ones. 

I have never had a problem boarding airplanes. I do pour out the water before going through security. Easy to refill once you get aboard. Things may be a little tighter since the Underwear Bomber. However, just offer to show the guards your stoma if they doubt you. 

Happy douching.

laurence likes this

Girl I totally understand!!! It's a messy job and not pleasant to do. I trained as a nurses aide and never expected to have to perform duties for myself.

For drainage bags you can rinse them BUT  be careful with this. If you have any problems with your flange adhering to your skin you aren't going to want to introduce water next to your stoma. Only the first couple inches. If you roll up your tp around your finger ( gloved or ungloved your preference) to clean around the rolled or clamped area that works nicely. Baby wipes work well, I prefer unscented. 

The closed system bags I find are adisadvantage for several reasons. First and foremost you have to change them. After my surgery my stomach was very painful. I didn't want anything extra to have to do with pressure more than once a day. Second, the convenience of being able to dump the bag, if needed, while I'm running errands. I don't like doing it but I have had to because my bag has filled quicker than expected. That brings up another thing...if your out and your bag fills and you've forgotten to bring a replacement.

I think for the usual patient with a typical ostomy we are to have 4-7 empties a day. I'm not typical as I love coffee and my mornings are more than 6 typically and 4 or 5 in the evening. The clean up isn't all that difficult once you get into a routine. When I was washing my bags for my colostomy I had a cup 8 oz. I ran cool water in before I sat down in the bathroom. I used it to pour just a little at a time splash it around dump, pour more splash dump, three times. It's good to have any other supplies you need for bathroom in right there handy. I also bought a shower chair to have to sit in front of the stool. Just in case I made a splash back on it it would be easier to clean up.

I don't know if any of this helps you! I hope it will. Wish I would have thought of Royost dishsoap bottle idea sooner. I like that one.

But your welcome to message me here or my personal email

[email protected]

Even if you just need someone to talk to.

The contributors above both have great ideas for you, Queensgirl 52.

A drainable pouch will accord you the maximum flexibility in living your life and, if I may add to that, a two-piece system generally even more so. Here's a bit of a variation on their routines:

When out, what I do to drain is to sit on a toilet, seat up, back toward the tank as far back as possible.  I carry antiseptic wipes to clean around the top of the bowl before sitting down,  Then I squeeze as much of the effluent/ bowel excretions out of the bottom of the bag with my fingers as I can.  Then I roll up toilet paper and insert the cigar-shaped wad into the drainage end of the bag and wipe it clean.  Another such toilet paper roll up coated with alcohol hand sanitizer (which I carry with me) finishes the clean so that the end can then be secured.  Hand sanitize and you're done.  Ba da bing, ba da boom.

At home, I snap off the filled bag and snap on a clean one (I use a two-piece system), pressure wash the filled bag using shower temperature water with a garden hose and nozzle attachment I've rigged up to my shower head using a splitter, hose long enough to reach to toilet.  I then hang up cleaned bag on metal shower curtain hook to air dry to be reused.  (Used bags get discarded at first sign of wear but they hold up for a long time.)

So, Good Luck, Queensgirl 52.  You'll get used to the care and feeding of your new little appendage and, I suspect, soon enough you'll be back to some degree of normality in your life; almost all of us generally do.  And remember:  Better a bag than a box...

Best, Laurence.

Edited by laurence
Tina Kindrex likes this

Thanks so much for the advice. JueBug23, thank you for mentioning the coffee and the increased frequency -- I was wondering about all the activity. Royost, maybe this is something that you'd like to try (unless you already tried it and it didn't work): The last three times I changed the pouch, I emptied it first. Instead of sitting on the toilet, I knelt in front of it and raised the seat so that the pouch was completely over the bowl. It doesn't solve the problem of cleaning the pouch, but I didn't have to clean anything else. No mess on the seat, etc.

JueBug23 likes this

Queensgirl 52, If you're going to empty from a kneeling position in front of the toilet bowl, you may want to drop some toilet paper into the bowl first to avoid back-splash.

JueBug23 likes this

Hi Queensgirl,

I agree with rinsing the pouch out, I use a water bottle for awhile, then recycle it as needed. Sometimes I add a very small drop of soap when things don't flush out on it's own. I have also used hydrogen peroxide too.

As far as drainable pouches I use to use the ones with the clips, ugh, i would sometimes accidentally drop the clip in the toilet and then if I didn't have a spare I was in trouble.

I use the ones with a velcro closure.Coloplast makes them.  It is a two piece system as I can change the pouch as needed and still keep  the flange on if all is well. The first fold has no velcro but the second has a big strip and two overlaping side closures that have never come away. If that wasn't enough then you can tuck it all into the soft covering on the pouch too,When your draining you can secure the flap to the back of the opening so it doesn't get in the way. If you call or go to a manufacturers website you can get free samples to try out and see what you think.

Placing some toilet tissue in the bowl is a great idea to keep the splashing down to minimum,  and don't use the whole bottle of water in one shot, pour some in and rub your pouch sides to help the water work the mess out.

Once it is empty use a wipe to clean the opening then dry it and fold it all back up.

Best of luck and keep asking questions!

I use a closed pouch but had far too many leaks and blowouts, I was going through my allocation of 90 a month too fast. Sometimes I changed 4 or more times a day. I have had a transverse colostomy for almost 4 years, skin level one side and not very high on the other and in a dip.

I decided not long ago to try convex ( shallow convex, midi length ). It helped but was not the answer and you get less of these.Well, brainwave, ordered deep convex, now I am having no leaks and my 2 per day allowance is adequate.  

Next question, how do I conquer chronic constipation? I am a nurse, know all the usual things to do but I have slow transit and this is what caused the original problem, so I take stuff which causes othe problems. 

Glad to see you got the first problem solved.

As for the second issue, I'm not totally sure what is recommended! But if I was going for OTC products I would use a natural vegetable oil based capsule to swallow with meals (Senna is the product I'm thinking of in the states.). Probably start with twice a day and then increase or decrease as the need warrants.

cairnsnomad likes this